15th June 2022 - 23rd April 2023 - The Forgotten Beauty of a Forgotten Porcelain Factory
The theme of the exhibition of the National Technical Museum, which was created in cooperation with the town of Ostrov and the Museum of Applied Arts in Prague, is porcelain made in the Pfeiffer und Löwenstein Schlackenwerth (PULS) porcelain factory and its owners. There is a large number of beautiful products on display, such as Doris-shaped terrine, which was awarded at an exhibition in Paris in 1925, CALAIS-shaped coffee and tea services and small sculptures.
In the first half of the 20th century, Ostrovská porcelain was one of the most successful porcelain factories in the region, and its production is now completely closed. The factory was founded and registered as a Public Trading Company on January 1, 1874 by partners Josef Pfeiffer from Rybář (Karlovy Vary, formerly an independent municipality) and Ludwig Löwenstein from Hroznětín (a town near Karlovy Vary). The founding fathers handed over the porcelain factory to their sons in 1901, and the sons came up with the idea of turning to Wiener Werkstätte (Vienna art workshops) artists such as Josef Hoffmann and Emanuel Margold, who began designing porcelain tableware for the company. Thanks to this, the PULS company became one of the three most important Czechoslovak porcelain factories, which was reflected in the awarding of a medal to the PULS company at the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Industrial Art in Paris in 1925. Porcelain dishes and decorative items were exported all over the world and at the same time they were popular souvenirs and gift items not only of the spa guests of Karlovy Vary and Jáchymov.