The first permanent exposition of the National Technical Museum was in the building on Letná, built for the museum according to the design of architect Milan Babška, gradually opened beginning in 1949. As time went on, expositions were swapped out and improved. However, up through the 1990s, the building was not fully suited to the purpose for which it was designed and built. From 2003 to 2012, the building was closed to visitors, and underwent a massive reconstruction, expressly for the purpose of serving as a technical museum. On February 16th, 2011, after an almost five-year pause, the National Technical Museum was reopened to the public. Five new exhibits were opened during that year, including the traditional Transportation Exhibit. The following year saw the opening of the Technology in the Home exhibit. In June of 2012, the museum added the exhibits Chemistry Around Us and Measurement of Time. The museum's reconstruction and the new exhibits are part of the program "Care for National Cultural Treasures".
In October 2013 the renovation of the National Technical Museum was completed. The museum now presents centuries of ingeniousness in 14 permanent expositions:
The National Technical Museum building on Letná currently has 14 permanent exhibitions open to the public - Architecture, construction and design, Astronomy, Transportation, Photographic studio, Mining, Metallurgy, Chemistry Around Us, InterCamera, Measurement of Time, Printing, Technology in the Home, Technology in Toys and Television Studio.